Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Awwwwwwwwwww...

The family bed was full again last night--Arlo between us in the middle of the bed, and Mae swaddled in the co-sleeper next to my side of the bed. Mae awoke just as the sun was coming up this morning, and I nursed her as I drifted in and out of a light sleep. Arlo stirred beside me, rolled over onto his back and rubbed his eyes. He squinted up at me and said, "What are you doing, Mom?"

(Yes, that was "Mom," and not "Mommy." Apparently this is part of the transformation into a big brother/big kid.)

"I'm feeding Macy," I said.

"She's hungry!" answered Arlo.

"Yep," I said, "but she's just about done now."

When Mae pulled away from my breast, I wrapped her up again in a blanket and laid her in the co-sleeper. Wanting to give Arlo some precious one-on-one attention and transition him smoothly from waking to breakfast, I turned to him and said, "Now let's get some breakfast! But first, I need a big hug from my big boy."

"I want a hug from my baby sister," he said.

Yay!

I was all too heppy to oblige. I picked Mae up and placed her in his open arms. He squeezed her just a little bit, and planted a big "mmmmmmmwahhhh!" kiss on her head.

"Now can we have oatmeal?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a super brother! He's totally going to be the Charlie to her Lola.
I hate that I missed you and Mae on Sunday. I took my kids to see my parents, as we hadn't connected with them in close to a month, and that's too long for me. I'm so eager to meet this little girl!
-J

Ms. Mayhem said...

I will give you a call soon, I would love to come and visit. Kate started Tues/Thurs daycare so I have a little more free time, but head back to work Oct 22---ugh! Maybe next week...will talk to you soon. Hugs to all.
Cindy

heetmyser said...

Go Arlo! It was only a matter of time before your love for little Mae rubbed off on him.