Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Boy and His Cat: It's a Beautiful Thing.

Ella has always tolerated Arlo, but now that he has gained enough coordination (and affection for her) that he can pet her and help feed her and the other three cats in our household, Arlo has gained status as a Useful Human Being. What I'm trying to say is, she likes him.

Shortly preceding this photo shoot, Arlo went looking for Ella. When he found her, he scooped her up and carried her to the rocking recliner in the living room.* As always, she went limp in his arms and completely submitted to his machinations.

After leaving Ella on the chair (where she willingly stayed, possibly just to satisfy her curiosity), Arlo then went to get a book from the case under the TV. Returning with the book, he struggled to get Ella positioned on his lap with the book in a suitable reading position.

Yes, he wanted to read Ella a story. A story about a fire truck.



Ella was my first "baby," the first living creature in my life for whom I am solely responsible. I got her as a kitten in 1997, so she's a senior kitty--which makes it all the more remarkable to me that she has adjusted so well to the addition of a little one into our household. I think she turned out okay.

It also warms my heart to see how Arlo has grown into such a gentle, creative and loving little person. Just last night we had our friends Joel and Sandie over, with their new baby, Adsila, and little boy, Piers, who is one of Arlo's best friends.

When it came time to say goodnight, Arlo gave Piers a hug and said "I love you, Piers." Then he planted a kiss right on Piers's lips. What a sweet boy! Of course, right after that, he went back to jumping on the new furniture--but one must have the yin AND the yang.

*30-year-old La-Z-Boy rocker-recliner handed down from my grandpa's house has finally been replaced by new furniture! Woo hoo! (Pictures on my flickr page.)

2 comments:

Ms. Mayhem said...

Great pics!

Jo said...

This is serious cute overload! Arlo is such a gentleman. And Ella is a very pliable, permissive cat. I'll take one of each, please. :)