Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sucker

First, let me say that I usually buy my coffee at the Co-op, with a preference for locally roasted beans. (Lately I've been partial to the new "Swamp Juice" blend from Cafe del Sol.) I don't typically buy into the whole Starbucks thing, but there I was standing in the coffee aisle at Hy-Vee because I was there and I was out of coffee.

All caveats aside, I think you can probably guess why I chose the Italian roast from among all the other "EXTRA BOLD" blends offered under the Starbucks label. Lookit that purty label, y'all!

I confess, I've always been a sucker for a well-designed label. I do the same thing in the wine aisle. Can't decide between two same-priced bottles of similar wines and my trusty Wine Guy is not on hand for the asking? Even though my choices are eventually determined and tempered by good advice and a scrutinizing palate, I can easily be swayed by a well-designed sticker, a clever name, or, in this case, any and all things scooter-related.

Oh, and the Italian roast? It's aiiight. Plenty strong and bold, bright and not too fussy. Very fuel-efficient. (Wait, is that the label talking again?) It's no Swamp Juice, but I won't be suffering as I brew my way through this bag o' beans.

No comments: